Very Sad News...

Welcome to the Wizards' Forum!
M_Walk

Re: Very Sad News...

Post by M_Walk » Mon Oct 23, 2023 4:57 pm

I'm totally heartbroken! Michael was the absolute best at what he did! no other software vendor did what he did. I will forever miss his rants and I will continue to watch the wizards forum videos on a daily basis and continue the value mindset I learned from him! He made me a BETTER HORSE PLAYER! my condolences to his family, the forum monitors and all of the wizards! Thank you Michael!😢
Mark Walker!

iceman

Re: Very Sad News..

Post by iceman » Mon Oct 23, 2023 5:00 pm

I'm just devastated by this news of Michael's passing. I've known him since his Sartin days and we never failed to touch base with one another for birthday's, Christmas wishes and Happy New Year. He found out about my health problems a few years back and was emailing me almost every other day to see how I was and I never failed to ask how Kim was doing because he let me know. I will now light a Forever Candle to honour my true friend tomorrow.
"Entitled To Nothing, Grateful For Everything"

CLH1233

Post by CLH1233 » Mon Oct 23, 2023 5:19 pm

Very sad day, I never had the opportunity to meet Michael. I would exchange emails with him and he would always take time out his day to reply. I am very thankful for him sharing his mindset through his teaching. Thoughts and prayers to his family and friends. Chris

JeffH

Post by JeffH » Mon Oct 23, 2023 5:29 pm

I am saddened by the news of Michael's passing. I never had the privilege of meeting him; but I could feel his desire to make me a better horseplayer with each video. I felt that he truly wanted every one of us to be successful valuecappers. In this type of business, people like Michael are almost non-existent. While I'm still relatively new to valuecapper, it has been my goal to be successful using it. Now there is even more incentive. A person is never truly gone until they are forgotten about; and he will forever be in my thoughts, especially each time I open the software. My thoughts and prayers are with his family during this difficult time.

Matt Russell
Site Admin

Post by Matt Russell » Mon Oct 23, 2023 5:34 pm

When I heard the news it was like hearing something impossible had happened. I’m still not accepting the reality of it all. Michael is too young, too energetic and driven to ever let death interfere. At least not until he’s 100 and only after hitting, one, last monstrous score including a celebratory dinner & cigar.

I knew him for 23 years and he was my teacher of this insane game and also a good friend. I’d make trips out to Vegas to play & relax and to see him and the late Dan Serra. He would always make time for dinner and for time to sit in the Book and play. That’s just the kind of man he was. As others mentioned, there have been few others of his like that I’ve had the privilege to meet and know, let alone become friends- Bat-shit crazy intelligent, kind, compassionate and exceedingly generous.

His life accomplishments read like a hero of fiction, something out of another time, and indeed he was. The term ‘Renaissance Man’ is a totally foreign concept in our current declining world but that is what he was: Columbia University, Columbia Law, Wall Street lawyer, acted off Broadway and was a David Copperfield/’Lance Burton class magician (ergo the genesis of the title ‘Handicapping Magic’). And what, a 2-handicap golfer too? He could have done any of those things and excelled. Yet he loved horse racing most of all, to all of our benefit. ValueCapper and our Wizards Forum were the culmination of his life’s work and we all need to honor him for that. Forever.

There never will be a greater, more talented handicapper & teacher than Michael Pizzolla. He saw things and patterns in the PPs that I would just gasp in amazement when he pointed them out. And not get confused in complexity as he pointed out the obvious ‘simple’ plays.

As Craig pointed out, it is his example of ‘ValueCapping’ life that resonates most with me; all the ‘woo woo’ he joked about yet seriously presented and wanted to communicate to each of us. Do the things that in their achievement makes you happy! And be right, not to ‘just be right’ but to ‘get paid’ when you are. And he meant way more than just monetary payment.

When I think of Michael I think of him telling us this:
Live an authentic life with courage, honor, compassion and joy. And don’t be a chalk eating weasel.

I miss you already. I send Eva’s and my deepest condolences & prayers to Kim, Rose, Anthony and to the rest of his family and friends… and to all of us here.

“Ensanguining the skies
How heavily it dies
Into the west away;
Past touch and sight and sound
Not further to be found,
How hopeless under ground
Falls the remorseful day.”

A. E. Housman
Matt Russell
Wizards Forum Moderator

"Train yourself to let go of everything you fear to lose" - Master Yoda

homerbear

Post by homerbear » Mon Oct 23, 2023 6:18 pm

I am in shock. I got involved in the beginning of the journey over 20 years ago. This man was a giant who impacted me very much, along with all of you. He will be missed. My hope is that we continue along as we have been. I will do my part to help.

Alan
Alan Eckstrand

"I'd rather be lucky than smart. But the best result is lucky and smart!"

itstime

Post by itstime » Mon Oct 23, 2023 6:59 pm

I only met Michael once at the Red Rock seminar but he impressed me so much I started taking this business seriously. Because of him I turned my life around. We all know there will never be another with his grace and compassion to teach others. So Michael goodbye and safe travels and one last time.......TURN EM LOOSE!!!!!............Ken

biggs_w

Post by biggs_w » Mon Oct 23, 2023 7:07 pm

i am in shock , i met him at one of his seminar in new york , he is so giving of himself , i understand all the whoo whoo stuff he talk
about, i going threw rought time myself my wife is fighting cancer ,i am supporting her ,i used the races to get away from the stress, i just play the video and watch mike ,this take my mine off all that is gong on around me .

BrooklynJG

Post by BrooklynJG » Mon Oct 23, 2023 8:44 pm

Very nice words Matt. Like all of us here I am heartbroken to hear the sad news this evening. I have never met Michael but I always looked forward to seeing and listening to his videos. I always enjoyed his genuine warmth, and sense of humor. I didn't know him as a friend but he was someone that I wish was my friend. I will miss him and I will pray for him and his family
John

filoli

Post by filoli » Mon Oct 23, 2023 11:14 pm

I was expecting something else in the email. I couldn't believe what I was reading. I read it over again, more slowly, and I was shocked to find out Michael's passing. I am so sad and heartbroken. My prayers are with him and his family. Thank you for your monumental work my dear friend.

David Koh