Forum Subscriptions

Welcome to the Wizards' Forum!
Craig Micallef
Site Admin

Forum Subscriptions

Post by Craig Micallef » Wed Nov 01, 2023 2:30 pm

Fellow Wizards,

As mentioned last week, we are working on supplementing your Wizards' Forum subscription with new features. There are two main themes which we will be addressing:

1) Enhancing the ValueCapper community experience

We would very much like to build on what we have in this forum with new ways to interact with your fellow wizards. While forum posts are great for asking questions or posting about a specific race, they don't always engender the feeling of camaraderie we used to get at the track or book.

2) Adding new premium features to the existing software

These would not be considered "essential" features but instead things which make the day-to-day ValueCapping experience easier and more convenient.

I must caution that this will not be an overnight process, but with your understanding and support, I am confident that the ValueCapper community Michael has built will not only continue but thrive.

To that end, and as a thank you for your loyalty, all active Wizards' Forum subscriptions have been extended for an additional 60 days. (Note: your subscription's expiration will be extended, but your auto-renewal status remains the same.)

Thank you.
Craig Micallef

roundtop

Re: Forum Subscriptions

Post by roundtop » Wed Nov 01, 2023 4:53 pm

The forum will be a test going forward, I understand that. I have no problem continuing to subscribe and I appreciate, in advance, the effort. However, it can never again be the same. Michael was so dynamic and a mentor to us all. I will miss his monthly videos as they were a part of my life. I suggest that you make the monthly audios created after the release of ValueCapper available to us. We have access to the first eight years or so of content, but no access to the past six years. I would love to have access to Michael's content as it pertains to ValueCapper. Please consider. Chip

loblolly74

Post by loblolly74 » Wed Nov 01, 2023 5:45 pm

This sounds great Craig

I've been an old time Blam player playing cheap supers and being reasonably successful at it, that is until the ol'ticker quit on me, thank goodness there was a big guy in the back of the ambulance that got me started again but in the flat line the brain synaps lost a lot of contacts but I've rebuilt a couple of well paying "cherry pickers" back again. Well that's my history with Blam

I'm really looking forward to what you're going to do with Black Magic and I intend to keep my subscription going

Loblolly74
Rich
Yep, I;m still playing

Craig Micallef
Site Admin

Post by Craig Micallef » Wed Nov 01, 2023 8:33 pm

roundtop wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2023 4:53 pm
The forum will be a test going forward, I understand that. I have no problem continuing to subscribe and I appreciate, in advance, the effort. However, it can never again be the same. Michael was so dynamic and a mentor to us all. I will miss his monthly videos as they were a part of my life. I suggest that you make the monthly audios created after the release of ValueCapper available to us. We have access to the first eight years or so of content, but no access to the past six years. I would love to have access to Michael's content as it pertains to ValueCapper. Please consider. Chip
Chip,

You are absolutely right: there is no replacing Michael. I should have stated up front that the content he produced -- 15+ years of monthly videos, many audio recordings, countless training videos, and 5000+ posts -- is a fount of wisdom which we will continue to provide. Ideally, we'd make this content searchable based on a topic or keyword; the alternative would be to simply list everything Michael ever authored. That might still be done, but could make it daunting for newer Wizards.

In any event, your idea of the monthly audios might be a good place to start.

Thank you for the feedback.
Craig Micallef

danbeeks

Post by danbeeks » Thu Nov 02, 2023 3:49 am

Just wanted to say, thank you Craig for continuing to review the best tools in handicapping and to move it forward where necessary.

Jdhanover

Post by Jdhanover » Thu Nov 02, 2023 10:39 am

danbeeks wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2023 3:49 am
Just wanted to say, thank you Craig for continuing to review the best tools in handicapping and to move it forward where necessary.
Ditto

A thought - would it make sense to have a thread for program improvement suggestions? There are some 'little' things (others may have bigger ones) with it that may not be difficult to do (things related to navigating the screen or visually setting the screen, etc)

Appreciate your efforts and keeping Michael's legacy alive

RSKERK

Post by RSKERK » Sat Nov 04, 2023 6:48 pm

Craig & Wizards, this is my opinion but whatever is done here, Value bets have to remain a top priority. We cannot leak into a forum of "Winners". One of the best things we can do to honor Michael's lifetime of work is keep that train on the rails. Value 1st. I've read from numerous people of the respect for him, for his, now our approach of passing a horse because of the price. I've been here since 17' and seen how he would treat a non-value approach to a "winning " win ticket. He would certainly criticize the bet. He would be stern but fair. His reply would put a full stop on one of those posts. I know everyone won't agree on every horse posted but we all can be civil and state our case. We are adults here. Civil criticisms are good for the soul.
JD, you can post whatever idea or improvements on your mind on these 2 sub-forums. The powers that be I'm sure will see it.
Capturewizards.PNG
Thanks for listening................Rob
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains.............Nuke Laloosh

Bob Harris
Site Admin

Post by Bob Harris » Sat Nov 04, 2023 8:58 pm

I agree Rob. We really don’t have much activity on the forum relative to the number of members. I’d like to see that change but it never will if people are fearful of being criticized or embarrassed.

Constructive criticism is great if it’s done with the intent of teaching. We may have different experience levels but we all have the capacity to be supportive.
You don't get paid extra for being clever!

Michael Pizzolla

Bob Harris
Site Admin

Post by Bob Harris » Sun Nov 05, 2023 2:58 pm

Rich,

Calling out bets and races before hand is absolutely not necessary, many of the sub forums are designed for after race discussion.

I will only post about a race if I think it’s instructive…maybe a simple call I made for a very good reason or in many cases, just pointing out what a good job VC did handling a race…nice price for zero work. You posting about how you constructed an exotic wager would definitely fall into the “instructive” category.

Where I start to roll my eyes is when I see wizards post about races where they made multiple clicks and changes or start using the phrase, “In “blank” races, I always do “blank”. The “blanks” usually have nothing to do with Michael’s teachings, reek of setting rules and just generally come across as boastful.

I hope you’ll continue to post about your scores, Rich!
You don't get paid extra for being clever!

Michael Pizzolla

loblolly74

Post by loblolly74 » Sun Nov 05, 2023 5:52 pm

Thanks Bob

I'll give you a good "after the fact" race from today (11/5) look at WO 1. I figured this race last night, took my wife to church today then out to dinner so missed the race "dang it"

There was a very weak odds line 9-2, a nice gap on MP between #'s 2 & 8 , the fav #8 was below the MP gap which totally kicked it out. I play 4 horses in a cheap super, and I have 4 horses here, My key horse is the top listed PP horse #3, I used the PP column because the race is a sprint

The bet: I always play 2 bets 3/2-5-6/2-5-6/2-5-6 costing $6 then 2-5-6/3/2-5-6/2-5-6 costing $6 the result 3-5-6-2( I only play dollar supers)

I wasn't expecting much out of the race, but here's the head slapper! $12 in and $1057 out That was an expensive lunch!!

I had one a few days ago similar to this one that I did collect that pd over $1400

This would be totally instructive and a "cherry picker"

Rich
Yep, I;m still playing