Very Sad News...

Welcome to the Wizards' Forum!
Craig Micallef
Site Admin

Very Sad News...

Post by Craig Micallef » Mon Oct 23, 2023 2:00 pm

It is with the deepest regret that I inform you all of the passing of our teacher, our mentor, and our dear friend, the inimitable Michael J. Pizzolla.

Though he had warned of health issues earlier this summer, this news has been a terrible shock to those near him, as I'm sure it is to all of you.

I would humbly ask that we all keep Michael, his wife Kim, his mother Rose, and brother Anthony in our thoughts and prayers.

At a time like this, it is difficult to put into words the emotions we are all feeling. I personally take solace in knowing that I am a better person for having known and worked with Michael. Yes, I learned a lot about the art of ValueCapping horse races, but I learned far more from him about ValueCapping the game of life: thinking unconventionally, asking the right -- and sometimes controversial -- questions, and insisting that the reward outweigh the risk.

More will be said in the days ahead, but please know Michael's wish was for this community he built to continue on, long after he had gone. We have lost the irreplaceable, so it is up to us to carry the torch he has lit, fueled by the wisdom he has imparted to us.
Craig Micallef

selwin09

Re: Very Sad News...

Post by selwin09 » Mon Oct 23, 2023 2:37 pm

Stunningly devastating news. Michael was truly one of the nicest people I ever met. We would run into each other once a month or so at the Red Rock book. The first words out his mouth were always to ask after my health because he knew I was battling some issues. He always had a kind word and a smile on his face. They say you can measure the quality of a person's life by the impact they had on others. By that measure and any other, Michael was truly one of the greats I will miss you deeply my friend. Rest in peace!
Have a winning day!

Barry

"We must always think about things, and we must think about things as they are, not as they are said to be."

George Bernard Shaw

swanson

Post by swanson » Mon Oct 23, 2023 3:11 pm

Very sad news, and my thoughts and prayers will be with his family tonight.

I never got to meet Michael, but I could see he had a huge heart in my email communications with him. One that wanted to always help everyone he could. My condolences to his close friends as well.

A heartfelt thanks to Craig for letting us all know. I'm sure it was a very hard message to formulate.

Again, deepest Sympathy to Michael's family and friends.

This is the part of life that just stinks!

Swanson

Jdhanover

Post by Jdhanover » Mon Oct 23, 2023 3:17 pm

Exactly my thoughts are as Swanson said (as I never met him either).

My condolences to his family and to the many of you who knew him.

Life is too damn short.

optionpro

Post by optionpro » Mon Oct 23, 2023 3:32 pm

What terrible, terrible news!!

Like many of you, I never met Michael in person, but we occasionally communicated by email and I thought of him as a friend. He was always a gentleman and took the time to respond thoughtfully to any questions or comments I had about Value Capping and occasionally other subjects.

My thoughts and prayers to his family and those of you that knew him personally.

Very sad news indeed!

Les

stanley

Post by stanley » Mon Oct 23, 2023 4:09 pm

My prayers will go to Michael for a long time. Very sad news, I respected him very much as a person and his passion. Tremendous lost and I want to express my condolences to the entire family. Sincerely, Stanley

bettinvet

Post by bettinvet » Mon Oct 23, 2023 4:30 pm

There are no words to express how shocking this news is. Prayers to his family in their time of grieving.

Vinnie

Post by Vinnie » Mon Oct 23, 2023 4:38 pm

I have not had the pleasure of meeting Michael personally but I learned so much from his teachings. Not only about horse racing but about the way he taught us to think differently. My deepest sympathy to his family and friends.

Vinnie

rickeff

Post by rickeff » Mon Oct 23, 2023 4:46 pm

I’m so very sad to hear this.

My thoughts are with his family.

Handicapping will never be the same.

jimspriggs

Post by jimspriggs » Mon Oct 23, 2023 4:54 pm

An absolute shock. I was going to email Michael two days ago about something, but I decided to let it slide. What a shame. He was one of a kind and a great inspiration and instructor. Peace and acceptance to his family.

Peter Tolan